The ancient practice of feng shui is well-known among designers as a way to help turn homes into soothing havens that make homeowners feel peaceful, rejuvenated and inspired.
Feng shui translates literally into “wind water,” and much like these two elements, it’s hard to explain, but you know it when you see and feel it. When you walk into a house with good feng shui, it seems to have a bright life energy (like air) and relaxed flow (like water) about it that makes you feel naturally safe and at ease.
To help you create cheerful energy and a good flow throughout your home, here are 3 basic tips for creating positive feng shui with your décor:
- Include the Elements—
- The five general elements of feng shui are water, wood, fire, earth and metal, although as mentioned before, wind is important, too.
- Natural lighting and fresh air are vital for achieving positive feng shui, as is representing all of the other elements in your decorating.
- The key is to strike a balance between elements: if you have too many sharp edges, or hard metallic surfaces, soften them with plants or fountains, for example. The same way you’d plant bushes outside against a harsh stone fence to soften it, remember to soften hard surfaces inside your home as well.
- Clear the Clutter—
- Many believe that if their house is cluttered, their brain feels cluttered. Feng shui experts recommend clearing as much of the extra unwanted debris out of your home.
- Decide which things you have around have meaning and make you feel good, and get rid of anything you’re keeping that has negative connotations.
- Arrange all furniture so there is an open pathway that flows through every room. Feng shui devotees believe that energy gets stuck anywhere with blocked paths and clutter for it to get “caught” on, so open up your house to good energy flow.
- Color Your World—
- All of the colors represent different elements, and there are no wrong colors to use, as it is up to each individual to determine which qualities they might currently need in their life. If you are gravitating toward a certain color, feng shui followers believe that is probably for good reason, so follow your instinct.
- Fire element will bring more energy and zest into your home or life. Shades of red, orange, bright yellow and purple can bring this passion into the home of the decorator.
- Both earth and wood elements are represented by brown and green, and bring with them a healing energy, as well as potential for financial prosperity. These colors can be added with wood, plants, painted onto the walls or added via other decorative touches.
- Water element lends a home peace and calm tranquility, and can be added with shades of blue or black. A water fountain or fish aquarium are also good ways to add this element to your surroundings.
- Metal element is known for giving the user mental clarity and focus, and is represented in the color form by gray and white. Actual metals can also add these qualities to the home.
The placement of furniture and décor, as well as the types of materials and colors used can truly make or break the mood of a home. Use the feng shui recommendations above to keep your home full of joyful energy, happy days and peaceful nights.